Saturday, September 17, 2011

This morning was a very fulfilling morning.  My hubby and I woke up early and headed to the Susan B. Komen walk for the cure in support of breast cancer research.  At first I did not want to wake up with it being a weekend morning and not wanting to shake the much needed sleep.  While laying there, I started to think about the reason we initially wanted to do the walk.  One of my Aunt's died of breast cancer and another aunt is a breast cancer survivor.  My niece is a survivor of a rare form of cancer.  The church I belong to also has breast cancer survivors.  I thought after everything the survivors have gone through to beat this disease, the least I could do is to get up and get moving, so I did.

To see so many running/walking in memory or celebration of a loved one was overwhelming.  I know that breast cancer research has come so far, I just pray that a cure for this disease along with all others is discovered.

Once the walk/run was over, I watched the smiles of those that completed in support of their loved ones and it warmed my heart.  I'm so glad I put aside my selfishness and was able to experience the emotions of not only sadness but of joy and celebration.

2 comments:

  1. I think that is awesome. I have many friends out there today in support of the Susan B Komen foundation.

    I recently found out that someone I don't know has breast cancer. Even though I don't know her personally its still horrible that we have cancer in this day and age. I'm glad you walked to help raise money for this. One of my aunt's also is a breast cancer survivor. It's just crazy how widespread cancer is and how many types of people it affects. It truly is a disease that knows no boundaries or limits.

    When I lived in Fort Worth a group of people I worked with we all got together and did the walk. I thought that was great. Even though I was only able to do the one mile it was still great to participate with them.

    The end result is what really matters the part about not being selfish..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you and your husband. That's a wonderful way to celebrate life and the memories of those who have passed.

    K. Smith
    Eng. 226

    ReplyDelete